Secretariat of the Haida Nation
Contract Opportunity - Marine GIS Analyst
The Council of the Haida Nation (CHN) with support of the Secretariat of the Haida Nation (SHN) is engaged in implementation of integrated marine plans for the waters around Haida Gwaii. This includes the Marine Plan Partnership for the North Pacific Coast (MaPP), the Pacific North Coast Integrated Management Area Initiative (PNCIMA), Marine Protected Area (MPA) Network Planning for the Northern Shelf Bioregion, and a new regional collaborative initiative on oceans planning and management, marine environmental protection, shipping, and marine safety.
The Marine Planning Program (MPP) provides technical support to each of these processes as required. The Marine GIS Analyst is a 6 month full-time contract with the opportunity for an extension. The Marine GIS Analyst will be part of the MPP and will report to the Marine Planning Program Manager.
The Marine GIS Analyst will:
- Provide GIS analysis and technical data management support for CHN marine planning files and initiatives.
- Support development and implementation of marine plans.
- Manage, update and analyze information and spatial data relevant to Haida Gwaii’s marine planning initiatives.
- Create interim and final planning and map products using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) - (e.g. ecological, cultural, socio-economic analysis, maps, summary reports).
- Write reports and prepare presentations for meetings and workshops.
- Participate in regular CHN meetings and on technical committees related to marine planning initiatives.
- Develop and maintain a data management system for marine information.
- Administrative duties as required (e.g. preparation of briefing notes, preparation of quarterly funding reports).
- A Bachelor’s degree, Associates degree or Diploma in Environmental Science, Resource Management, Geography, Marine Biology, Oceanography, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science or relevant field with a minimum of two years of related experience or an equivalent amount of post-secondary education and experience.
- Proficient in GIS experience working with ESRI’s suite of GIS software (e.g. ArcMap 10.x, Spatial Analyst) or similar system (e.g. QGIS).
- Experience working with spatial data relevant to integrated marine plans.
- Experience with the use of Traditional and Local Ecological Knowledge in a natural resource management context considered an asset.
- Knowledge of marine data around Haida Gwaii will be an asset.
- Knowledge of Haida governance, especially as it relates to marine issues will be an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Eve Hansen – Human Resources Executive Assistant
m. P.O. Box 589, Old Massett, Haida Gwaii V0T 1M0
e. careers [at] haidanation.com
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: May 24, 2019 at 4:30pm.