For more than 15 years, FishWise has worked closely with businesses to advance sustainability in the seafood sector. Through our partnerships and extensive networks, FishWise offers pragmatic approaches and credible guidance for companies to tackle some of the toughest challenges in sustainable seafood, from addressing environmental issues in fisheries and aquaculture production, to improving traceability and mitigating risks for human rights abuses in supply chains.
FishWise achieves measurable impact by:
- Partnering with companies to develop comprehensive seafood sustainability programs with transparent, time-bound commitments
- Convening and connecting diverse stakeholders to drive improvements in seafood supply chain traceability and social responsibility
- Creating best practice guidance and resources on traceability, counter-IUU fishing ( (illegal, unreported, unregulated), and social responsibility
- Forward-thinking: We stay on the cutting edge of the dynamic field of sustainable seafood, creating actionable solutions for and with our business and NGO partners.
- Advocates: We use our voice to create and advance the work of others, raising awareness of urgent topics through dialogue with organizations of diverse voices and critical opinions.
- Passionate: We care about the wellbeing of workers and the health of the world’s oceans, and our passion inspires action and global change.
- Solution-oriented: We value the importance of working with different stakeholders to set ambitious yet achievable goals.
We advance our mission through working…
- Collaboratively: We partner with a wide range of companies and organizations to create and achieve shared goals together. Collective action is an essential component of lasting change.
- Innovatively: We are bold and curious, using new skills and solutions to solve intractable problems in order to translate an ideal vision of the world into a reality.
- Inclusively: We celebrate diversity and foster a supportive environment for all employees.
- Transparently: We are committed to being open and honest about decision making.
Under the direction of the Data Project Director, the Data Project Manager is responsible for assisting the operations, maintenance, and improvement of the organization’s database systems. The Data Project Manager facilitates data-related tasks in FileMaker Pro (and Microsoft Excel as needed) and is responsible for data-curating tasks and database improvements as well as providing documentation and training to assist staff with database usage. This position’s work will facilitate the acquisition, analysis and utilization of data from multiple partnerships to support FishWise’s sustainable seafood objectives while ensuring that the highest quality information is used in project reporting and planning.
Reporting: This position reports to the Data Project Director.
- Manage daily operations and maintenance of the database systems
- Import data into FileMaker Pro from client-provided Excel sheets
- Export and prepare data reports to assist with partnership reporting and deliverables
- Streamline and improve existing Filemaker Pro databases
- Assist in creation and management of internal data tools
- Explore new data analytics platforms under consideration
- Assist with QA/QC of incoming data and information
- Support staff needs with data access and analysis
- Design simple user manuals for certain data tasks
- Rewrite lost data from backups as needed
- Upgrade employee software as needed
- Be a learning “sponge” about relational data structure, UI design, and the capabilities of FileMaker Pro
- Some light IT duties
- Master’s degree or a Bachelor’s degree plus two years of relevant work experience in a related field.
- Proficient in relational databases or other information structure
- Proficient with Filemaker Pro database development (or equivalent system)
- Fluent in Microsoft Excel and comfortable with Mac OS
- Some QA/QC experience
- Detail-oriented and meticulous about data and information
- Experience with data analytics platforms (desired)
- Experience with MySQL database management and queries (preferred)
- Ability to meet deadlines and to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience working in a collaborative office or professional environment
- Excellent professional writing and editing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- A demonstrated interest to support ocean conservation missions
HOURS AND BENEFITS
- This is a full-time position preferably based in the FishWise office in Santa Cruz, CA
- Remote positions also considered
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefit package
- Office hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00AM-5:00 PM
- Evening and weekend work will sometimes be required
- Occasional business travel and personal transportation is required