JPF01778 Benioff Ocean Initiative Academic Coordinator I (Administrative Coordinator) - Marine Science Institute
The Benioff Ocean Initiative (www.boi.ucsb.edu) at the University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB), seeks an Administrative Coordinator to support and enable key operational and administrative functions.
The Benioff Ocean Initiative is a unique endeavor at UCSB that leverages marine science and technology to solve pervasive ocean problems. The Benioff Ocean Initiative team of researchers specialize in marine science, ecology, and technology and are dedicated to innovating ways to translate university-powered research into tangible solutions to problems that affect ocean ecosystems and human communities. Current programs include applying remote sensing and modeling to prevent ship strikes on whales in the Santa Barbara Channel, piloting technologies for capturing plastic waste in rivers, and using drones and artificial intelligence to detect white sharks.
We are seeking a highly-organized, detail-oriented team player who is willing and able to take on a range of responsibilities with professionalism in a fast-paced research environment. The Administrative Coordinator’s main duties will be to provide operational and administrative support. The Administrative Coordinator will work closely with the Benioff Ocean Initiative Director, staff researchers, and partners to achieve the Initiative’s mission.
- Independently manage and coordinate administrative functions of the Benioff Ocean Initiative
- Manage the Director’s schedule
- Manage the Director’s travel planning and process reimbursements
- Provide administrative and logistical support to multiple complex projects
- Communicate and coordinate effectively and accurately with partners and stakeholders
- Support short- and long-term organizational planning
- Organize and maintain Initiative records
- Develop, create, and present expense and budget data and reports to the Director
- Oversee supply acquisition, lab equipment maintenance and setup
- Manage operations, finances, and administrative duties associated with a research laboratory affiliated with the Benioff Ocean Initiative
- Liaise with UCSB campus administrators to execute contracts and agreements, and work with contractors and service providers as required by specific projects
- Conduct recruitment, training and guidance of staff, student interns, and volunteers
- Plan and execute events and workshops
- Assist with management of social media and traditional media communications
- Efficiently balance multiple tasks while maintaining a high level of accuracy, organization, and professionalism
- Associate's degree in administration or communications, or other related field
- At least 1 year of executive assistant, administrative assistant, project coordination or related experience
- Experience developing and managing project or programmatic budgets
- Experience working in a science setting in academia, non-governmental organizations, government, or private industry
- Experience planning and executing events and meetings
- Excellent computer skills including fluency in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs, Gmail, and Google Calendar
- Interest in oceans, science, technology, or conservation; however, no formal experience in these fields is required
- Experience in outreach and communication
- Understanding and acceptance of diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace
This position is a 100% time appointment for one year from the start date with the possibility of reappointment, contingent upon performance and funding. Position start date is negotiable and anticipated to start in April 2020. This appointment includes a competitive benefits package with medical, dental and vision insurance and a UC retirement plan. Salary is commensurate with the applicant’s qualifications and experience.
We encourage applicants to submit an optional Statement of Contributions to Diversity. These statements, if submitted, will be reviewed for evidence of professional and/or public service contributions that promote diversity, equal opportunity and equitable access.
Electronic applications including a curriculum vitae, cover letter, contact information for 3 references, and the optional statement of contributions to diversity should be submitted via:
For primary consideration apply by April 8, 2020
Position open until filled.
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service as appropriate to this position.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.