Lynker Technologies, LLC is seeking to hire a Pre-Trip Notification System (PTNS) & Electronic Monitoring (EM) Data Analyst to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC) Fishery Sampling Branch (FSB) at the NOAA Facility in Tech Park East, Falmouth, MA.
The FSB provides the Northeast Fisheries Observer Program (NEFOP) observer coverage and ASM coverage of several Northeast and Mid-Atlantic Federal and state fisheries through the NEFOP and the At-Sea Monitoring (ASM) program. FSB staff trains and monitors the performance of NEFOP observers and ASMs, who complete data collection and biological sampling on board commercial fishing vessels from Maine to North Carolina, USA. Selection of vessels and deployment of observers and ASMs varies by fishery. In the Northeast multispecies groundfish fishery and the longfin squid fishery, selection is managed by the PTNS. The PTNS is a web-based system used by all groundfish sector vessels and select non-sector vessels. They are required to provide 48 hours’ notice prior to each PTNS-eligible fishing trip. Notifications are made by vessel representatives via direct use of the PTNS website, phone calls, or emails, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. FSB staff provides live support for the PTNS Monday through Friday during office hours and intermittent support outside of office hours – nights, weekends, and holidays as needed. An after-hours answering service Contractor provides PTNS telephone support nightly, and on weekends and holidays. In order to provide PTNS support to the groundfish and longfin squid industries and to NEFOP and ASM providers, FSB staff must answer phone calls and respond to inquiries in a polite and courteous manner. Additionally, regular database maintenance tasks must be performed to ensure accuracy of trip counts, compliance monitoring and observer coverage metrics. Sector, vessel, and provider-specific PTNS data summaries, as well as system analyses are required on a regular basis.
The position includes the following tasks:
- Support for phone and email trip notifications and enter trips as needed.
- Respond to industry, provider, and internal questions and inquiries in a professional manner.
- Assist with routine database maintenance tasks.
- Assist with training providers, industry, and industry representatives on PTNS and EM protocols and functions as needed.
- Lead analyst to determine program functionality, risks, and overall effectiveness.
- Assist with research projects that explore EM, PTNS, or observer data collection.
- Assist with PTNS and EM outreach as requested.
- Assist with querying PTNS, OBDBS, and EM and other commercial fishing databases as needed.
- Edit NEFOP observer and/or ASM data and become familiar with protocols for all observed fisheries.
- Assist with maintaining PTNS and EM documentation, instructional materials, and troubleshooting guides.
- Assist with monitoring PTNS website and system performance, and with monitoring vessel coverage metrics.
- Assist with monitoring vessels’ PTNS compliance.
- Assist with miscellaneous data summaries and requests as needed.
- Assist with viewing, editing and analyzing EM data as needed.
- May perform observer duties at sea (up to 5 trips per year) in order to become familiar with protocols, data collection, observer responsibilities, and issues that observers may encounter while working as government representatives in a field setting.
- Review/edit raw data logs for completeness and accuracy, contact observers and/or ASMs to verify inconsistencies, and solve data recording problems as needed.
- Must be available for periodic overtime as well as regular weekend assignments.
- Participates on research cruises aboard NOAA research vessels
Minimum required qualifications include:
- Must have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience, requirements for advanced degrees or credentials.
- Degree in Marine Biology, Fisheries, Sciences or a related field.
- Previous or current NEFOP observer or ASM experience
- Experience in the Northeast multispecies groundfish fishery, familiarity with the NEFOP or other observer program.
- Must be motivated, independent, detail-oriented, and organized, as well as a strong team player and effective communicator.
- Must be willing and available to provide PTNS support after-hours on nights, weekends and holidays (this work is generally minimal and can be performed from home)
- Candidates without NEFOP observing or editing experience may be required to attend the first available observer training session
- Additional preferred skills include web development, SAS programming, ORACLE database knowledge, and SQL
- Program planning and management in a team environment
- Developing performance metrics and milestones
- Working with diverse interagency teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Developing and monitoring resource investment strategies
- Working with marine fisheries information programs or other science-based programs.
- Proficient in current MS Office software programs.
Skills/certifications and credentials:
- Valid driver’s license
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker is an E-Verify employer.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.