Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge (ECWR), a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization located in Navarre, Florida, is seeking a part-time, temporary/contract marine mammal veterinarian. ECWR’s marine mammal stranding team responded to more than 21 cetacean strandings in 2019 and supports full necropsies, transport of live animals to rehabilitation and collaborative research efforts. This position requires on call availability to attend marine mammal strandings and necropsies as opportunity presents, the ability to offer training to staff and volunteers throughout necropsy procedures and to draft veterinary documentation as needed. As ECWR is also a native Florida wildlife rehabilitation facility, opportunity to participate in wildlife medicine and sea turtle response may be offered, but will not be included in the salaried contract.
- Attend live and dead marine mammal strandings as NOAA stranding agreement describes and opportunity presents
- Conduct necropsies with stranding coordinator
- Draft veterinary/necropsy reports
- Draft other documentation as necessary
- Participate in research efforts and collaboration
- Assist coordinator in teaching staff, interns, and volunteers during stranding events and necropsies
- Graduate of an AVMA accredited veterinary college or ECFVG certified institution with a valid license issued by Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation and DEA license.
- Minimum of 1 year experience working in marine mammal medicine, stranding response and/or research
- Preference will be given to candidates with marine mammal necropsy, live animal handling and teaching experience and those with a research background.
- Ability to work as part of a cohesive team and resolve conflict
- Professional attitude and ability to work with staff of all levels
- Excellent communication skills
- On call availability, including weekends and holidays
- U.S. Citizen or the ability to legally work in the U.S.
- Physically capable of safely working with cetaceans, ability to lift at least 50 pounds, able to work in extreme environmental conditions
- Microsoft Office or equivalent: 3 years (Required)
- Regulatory compliance: 1 year (Preferred)
- Marine Mammal necropsy: 1 year (Required)
- Marine Mammal stranding response: 1 year (Required)
Please submit Cover Letter, CV and 3 References through indeed.com