At Saltwater Inc., we believe that high quality data is vital to the health of our fisheries and oceans: our mission is to provide that data. Saltwater is a small, innovative company that is currently recruiting a qualified Fish Ageing Lab Support Specialist for a federal contract we are bidding on. This position is full time and is based out of the Southwest Fisheries Science Center (SWFSC) of the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).
The Fish Ageing Lab Support Specialist will assist the SWFSC with the preparation and scanning of CPS and HMS otoliths using FT-NIRS Methodology.
Our ideal candidate would be someone with experience working in a laboratory with standard scientific instruments and protocols.
The contractor shall conduct laboratory work to prepare and scan otoliths, maintain equipment, and deliver completed data for data entry. Key tasks include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:
- Polish and/or section CPS and HMS otoliths in preparation for age and growth studies
- Clean and weigh CPS and HMS otoliths in preparation for FT-NIRS scanning.
- Scan otoliths for an assigned species using a Fourier transform near infrared spectrometer, up to 5000 specimens a year.
- Manage, organize, and archive otolith samples.
- QA/QC generated spectral data and as needed, entry of data into database.
- Support senior scientists/biologists with analysis and research of spectral data for scientific publications and meetings/workshops/ symposiums as required.
- Ensure laboratory equipment is maintained.
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, from an accredited college or university with a major directly related in a field of study as related to the requirements of specific task order with emphasis in fisheries, oceanography, social science, natural science, mathematics, or hydrology.
- Direct experience working in a laboratory environment
- Experience working independently on a research project
- Experience using scientific instruments and following standard protocols
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access)
- Good oral and written communication skills
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include Medical Insurance, Holidays, PTO, Sick Pay, and 401K.
How to Apply
Only qualified applicants that meet the requisite experience need apply. If interested, applicants should submit a resume and cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the qualifications listed above and why you would be the best candidate for the job.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Kathy Robinson at: kathy.robinson [at] saltwaterinc.com