Overview and Our Story
Scoot Science is the ocean company. We make the oceans manageable, insurable, and investable. Scoot Science is a California-based, remote-first startup founded in 2017 by a team of experienced oceanographers, agricultural economists, software engineers, and data scientists. We’re an investor backed company with a current roster of over 15 employees. We promote responsible and sustainable use of our oceans.
Our team is dedicated to illuminating the linkages between ocean conditions and the ocean economy through data analysis, visualization, and forecasting. Our goal is to give our customers the best insight into what’s currently happening, and what will be happening, in their coastal oceans. We give our customers a critical edge for marine operations, risk management, and long term planning, by combining the best available ocean and atmospheric data with in-house analytics and visualization.
If you love the ocean and science, and are excited about the intersection of technology, ocean data, and operational climate change decision making... let’s talk.
We are looking for a Human Resources and Office Manager to join our team and implement and manage various human resources programs and office activities. You should have a broad knowledge of human resources and office functions; from hiring to onboarding to managing remote office needs. The ideal candidate is well organized and pays great attention to detail. They also efficiently prioritize tasks and balance various work responsibilities. If you have a passion for people, are familiar with labor laws, and looking to accelerate your career, this is the place to be.
- Understand and effectively explain Scoot Science’s mission
- Administer compensation and benefit plans
- Help drive talent acquisition and recruitment processes
- Conduct employee onboarding and help organize training & development initiatives
- Provide support to employees in various HR-related topics such as leaves and compensation and resolve any issues that may arise
- Promote HR programs to create an efficient and conflict-free workplace
- Undertake tasks around performance management
- Maintain employee files and records in electronic and paper form
- Enhance job satisfaction by resolving issues promptly, applying new perks and benefits and organizing team building activities
- Ensure compliance with labor regulations
- Handle all daily office activities
- Work on special projects as assigned
- BSc/BA in Business Administration or relevant field
- Proven experience as a Human Resource and/or Office Manager
- Additional HR training will be a plus
- Understanding of general human resources policies and procedures
- Good knowledge of employment/labor laws
- Outstanding knowledge of our software platforms including: MS Office, Google Workspace, Slack, Dropbox, HRIS systems (e.g. Gusto)
- Clear written and verbal communication skills with an attention to detail and documentation. Bonus points for experience with project management software.
- Experience working in a collaborative, remote-first team environment
- Excellent people skills with an aptitude for problem-solving
- Desire to work as a team with a results driven approach
- Creativity and the ability to solve complex problems without a roadmap
- Recognition that work is a marathon and that quality of work time is more important than quantity
What you’ll do
Your role will be far from one-dimensional. You’ll undertake a wide range of HR and office tasks like organizing trainings, administering employee benefits and leaves, crafting and managing HR and recruiting policies and procedures, and creating a fun and exciting company through employee events. You’ll use Gusto to ensure all employee records are up-to-date and confidential. You’ll act as the main point of contact for employees’ queries on HR and office-related topics. The goal is to ensure the office operations will be running smoothly and effectively to deliver maximum value to the organization as a whole.
The Human Resource and Office Manager will be reporting to the Chief Executive Officer.
Within 1 month you’ll:
- Learn about Scoot Science and its mission
- Learn about Gusto and begin processing payroll
- Meet all employees
- Onboard and learn our internal communication and project workflows
- Handle office duties, such as ordering
Within 3 months you’ll:
- Help drive a company-wide recruiting and onboarding process using an ATS called Greenhouse.io (application tracking system)
- Research relevant tools and suggest ways to improve processes
- Work with the management team to help plan team events
Within 6 months you’ll
- Become the main contact for all employee and office-related issues
- Establish regular cadence and procedures for performance reviews
- Help prepare for benefits renewals